I remember it like it was yesterday. It was the worst date you’d ever been on. It was Frank’s Red Hot Original splashed all over a generous bowl complete of Breyer’s Butter Pecan ice cream. It was to say the least, thee WORST BILLS GAME I’ve ever attended… but I’m obtaining ahead of myself. Let me start off at the starting.
For decades I had gone to a Buffalo BILLS residence game, a single every year, considering that the 1973 season when I was eleven years old, seeing my 1st NFL game… the year Ralph Wilson Stadium opened. Each year considering that, I’d try to make it a point to see Miami at property in December. Those games, in frigid circumstances, with a good opportunity of snow in the air had been all the greater. I loved going to December games. This was one of those. December 21st, 2003…Miami’s rolling into town and I’m in western NY visiting my father and relatives for Christmas in the Elmira, NY region.
I’d lived through the 70′s in western NY… and the putrid O-fer place up by the BILLS against the far superior Miami Dolphins at the time. Arriving on game day with my father and two sons was a excellent knowledge. I’d constantly loved the ‘verbal interactions’ with the Dolphin fans and this was no exception. We had our friendly back and forth. They were 8-6 at the time and the BILLS had been 6-8.
The BILLS team had Pat Williams and Sam Adams at the tackle spots, Aaron Schobel, Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay rotated at defensive ends. Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements manned the corners… and Lawyer Milloy was holding court at safety. London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes had been the stud linebackers. Drew Bledsoe was the QB and Travis Henry was running back.
The Dolphins had Junior Seau and Zach Thomas as the focal points of their defense. (defence for Joma) They had been 3rd in the league for points allowed that year and they were stout. Jay Fiedler was their sorry excuse for a QB and none other than Dave Wannstedt… was their head coach.
Game “Highlights” -
• Travis Henry gets much less than 70yds on about 25 carries… and can’t even hold on to the football
• Buffalo fumbles a total of 5 occasions, losing three of them
• The BILLS ‘D’ knocked Ricky Williams out of the game in the 2nd quarter with a shoulder injury. He had 62yds rushing yards at the half.
• Fiedler finishes the day 8 out of 17 for 46yds, 1TD and 1 Int (which most days would be sufficient take home a ‘W’)
• But no… Drew Bledsoe completes HIS initial pass… in the 3rd quarter!!!
• Ricky Williams was a BEAST for the Dolphins, returning in the 3rd quarter (right after a HYPO) and finishes with 29 carries for 111 rushing yards. 106 of these yards came on 25 carries among the tackles. He also caught passes when he wasn’t running more than the BILLS middle ‘D’
• Brian Moorman, future perennial team MVP, kicked a 27yd punt from the BILLS 17yd line… no wait, perhaps it was a 17yd punt from the 27yd line, whatev…
• BILLS lastly score for the residence crowd late in the 3rd quarter with a 23yd FG………. kicked from the six freakin’ yard line… to make it 13 – three. For all practical goal, the game was more than, as THAT was their Finest drive of the day….. a pathetic FG from the 6yd line
Somebody. MAKE. IT. Stop.
• Bledsoe’s final stats… 12 of 24, 114yds, 0TD’s, 1 Int… he’s pulled for Travis Brown.
WE’RE. OUGHTA. Here.
With 8min to go in the game, I whispered to my father that we ought to get going and beat the visitors. It was much more than apparent that it just wasn’t gonna take place in the 4th quarter. He quietly reminded me that my oldest son, a Dolphins fan… would possibly rather keep and watch the time run down. He was at the time, 13 years old.
I’ve always hated it when I know I’m incorrect. This was 1 of these instances. We sat. I was humbly reminded that I was a lot more than just a BILLS fan at this game. I was a father.
FINAL SCORE: Miami 20… Buffalo 3.
Immediately after the excruciating ‘contest’ wound to its brutal and obvious conclusion, I got to hear things like, “We just took a giant shit in your home!!!”… “You guys SUCK!!!”… and “LOSERS”… all the way back to the auto.
It is a lot longer walk back to the car after losses. I’ve been through many.
Long story brief, I haven’t been back because. That was when it ended for me.
The item just hasn’t been worth the cost… and they really got WORSE immediately after that year.
This is now when that ends for me. I’m back! The nine year drought ends NOW!
I just bought two tickets on StubHub… BILLS side of the field… Appropriate on the Tunnel end objective line… SECOND ROW, and they’re aisle seats to boot. I believe it is close to Elvis’s section.
Hopefully cowgirl enjoys her very first trip to the ‘Mecca’…………… for an look by none other than Tom Brady and the New England Patriots residence game, September 30th, week 4.
I feel it’s secure to come out again… and will be properly worth the expense of a ticket.
REJOICE BILLS FANS!!!
The BILLS are finally going back to the land of milk and honey… the Playoffs!
As for Tom Brady, you’ve only got two to 3sec… due to the fact we’ve just
RELEASED THE HOUNDS!!!!!!!!!!